Rainy season has arrived.
Today we awoke to rain….rainy season has arrived and since it has been very dry it is a precious gift for the farmers. The growing season is very short in Ethiopia: July thru October. We left Nazareth a dry desert area and headed to Assella a much more lush area- As we headed south we had trouble maneuvering thru the streets, they flooded with the rain.
Street flooding
Farm
We still had to dodge the usual obstacles in the roads from cows to people. Our driver has amazing skill. Assella is a beautiful town and I was glad to see the Transition Home where Gemechu began his journey. The directors, caregivers, nurses, and guards were soft-spoken lovely people. We participated in a traditional coffee ceremony, sweet black coffee and popcorn. We spent quite a bit of time in Assella. We then returned to Nazareth for another traditional lunch and back to Addis.
Cows crossing the road and bring traffic to a halt.
Alemu gifted us with a short visit to the orphanage. It is a very small place and we crowd 7 adults in addition to nurses and caregivers it is beyond crowded. The children are no doubt overwhelmed when we descend on the orphanage as our the caregivers but I can not express how impressed and confident I am in the care the children receive. Today was certainly the most emotional day I have ever experienced. Much like the farmers I will forever treasure the gifts I received today….
Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons.
Ruth Ann Schabacker
Children playing outside of Assella
No comments:
Post a Comment