Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 2


Last night we met Alemu, he came to the Lodge and took us for coffee up the road- A delicious Machiato…. Ethiopian coffee is strong yet not bitter… I rather enjoy it :) Ethiopia is the birth place of coffee and they are quite proud of it.

Alemu vaguely explained the week’s events and explained since the 2 other families would arrive late in the evening we would be lucky enough to visit the orphanage again tomorrow…WOOHOO

The street outside of the Sadula Lodge

This morning, we met the other 2 Adoption Associate families at breakfast- Both are lovely and so excited for this moment- One couple is from just outside of Rochester, NY and the other from San Francisco Bay area- The family from NY is adopting a toddler girl and the CA family a baby boy who is the crib neighbor to Gemechu, apparently they arrived to Enat Alem at the same time.

After breakfast we headed to church with another family and Alemu. It was a International Evangelical Church, the minister introduced himself to us…a white man from North Carolina… the service was in English and the crowd was quite mixed… the music was amazing and the musicians were a mix of Ethiopians, Americans and Europeans. We then ate again… pizza and diet coke, I am not a very adventurous eater this was fine by me...

The best part of the day was visiting the orphanage…. It was great to return and neat to see the 1st meeting for the other 2 families, it is indescribable that ‘moment’ and even writing about it brings happy tears… Today Gemechu was so sweet playing under a musical gym in his crib. I fed him a bottle and he snoozed in my arms for a short time before he awoke and offered more smiles. I am sure this content, perfect baby is saving up for a rainy day…. But according to the nurse he is happy as long as he has a full belly. Every single baby in the baby room appears well-fed, clean and happy. The caregivers are fabulous and it is so obvious that they truly love and care for these children. One caregiver has such a gift to make Gemechu smile – he clearly has an attachment to her and it makes me very happy to see them interact- she was thrilled to have pictures taken today with Gemechu and I am happy to capture these precious pictures. It is still quite surreal to be here, I woke up this morning thinking….WOW, I am in Africa- I am finally here.

Entrance to Gemechu's current home: Enat Alem Orphanage

Tomorrow we are off to Awassa and Assela (Gemechu’s birthtown) and of course I must exit this post with another sneak peek of my sweet boy
Sweet Gemechu


1 comment: