Thursday, April 26, 2012

One Year Ago Today

A year ago today, I was at the salon,
sitting in the chair lamenting my woes to Bob, hair designer extraordinaire….
After approximately an hour I looked much like this



 Bob was just about finished placing the foils, when my phone rang
 I grabbed the phone which I had forgotten to place on silent,
apologized to Bob and glanced at the screen….
It was a 616 area code…. I numbly said huh, it is my adoption agency....
I had already talked to Sally from AAI that morning,
so I just thought it was odd….
But after an hour of complaining to Bob he looked at me
and said ANSWER IT! So I did….

It was a blur, but this is what I remember about that very short call-
4:45pm Tuesday April 26, 2011

Hello….
Kristy this is Sally…
Me: Hi Sally…
Sally: Do you have a minute?
Me: ok
Sally: I want to talk to you about a little boy…
Kristy: ok
Sally: He is about 3 months old, and a little peanut
Me: ok
Sally: I am sending you the files and pictures
Me: ok
Sally: do you have any questions?
Me: ok, I mean, not yet, I am in shock

The rest of the conversation wasn’t real memorable….
Bob is staring at me. I am staring at myself in the mirror,
remember I looked like this….


I hung up the phone and opened my email and saw this sweet face




 I showed the picture to Bob and the man getting his hair cut next to me,
lord, he must have been confused….
I told Bob I would probably need to make a few calls
before he finished my hair, he said… Ya think?!

I called my family and asked them if they could meet at my parents….
My sister said, well, I am kind of busy …
I told her "fine, you don’t get to see the picture of your newest nephew"….
She raced over….

Once I arrived at my parents and we sat and stared at that sweet face
That is when it sort of hit me….
This is the one I have been waiting for…..

Over the next few months, I will celebrate the one year anniversary
of multiple adoption milestones; in a strange twist
many of them took place on days
I spent with Bob, getting a haircut or highlight.
I feel as though Bob had a front row seat to the adoption madness…
It was very appropriate, and accidental, 
that I celebrated this special anniversary with a visit to Bob...
Thanks Bob you're the best!


And then Theo and I celebrated...
a little creamy whip with friends.



3 comments:

  1. :D What a cool story. I miss Theo and can't wait to see him again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, i'm wiping away the tears. such a sweet story and a handsome boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craziness that it has been a year... May 4th was our big day! ;-) Loved reading your story!!

    ReplyDelete