Monday, June 25, 2012

What's in a name?


For as long as I remember my friends and I discussed 
what would we name our babies...

Back in the day, I gave some great names to my dolls.
Puddin', Pussycat, Gwen....

My friends have lots and lots of children and they have chosen
some great names.

I had a long list of potential names when I was waiting.
And then I had a boy.
And none of the names fit.


So I decided I would wait to meet him and I was assured by many
that certainly I would know the name when I met him.
I had a short list of possibilities.


Then I met my sweet boy and still no name seemed just right.
His given name is Gemechu which translates to happy.
Quite appropriate.


One night while in Ethiopia, I was discussing names.
I mentioned that I was thinking about the name Theodore.
I liked the name, and although it was not on my short list
I kept coming back to it.

-Theodore is a family name on my mother's side

-Tewodros II often referred to the English equivalent Theodore II 
(c. 1818 – April 13, 1868) was the Emperor of Ethiopia from 1855 until his death.


My friends Pam & Bob were in Ethiopia adopting their daughter.
Their oldest son is named Theo
They told me the meaning of the name....
Gift from God


This Thursday Theo is being re-adopted.
His name will be legally changed to Gemechu Theodore.


No comments:

Post a Comment